Be Kind. Be Responsible. Be Respectful. Be Safe.
These are Annoor Academy’s expectations for students, parents, and staff. These expectations are the foundation of the school discipline guidelines. We expect our students to:
- Adhere to appropriate behavior and good manners in all areas of the school.
- Use kind words, avoid foul language, and greet with salaam whenever you see someone.
- No name calling, cussing, teasing, bullying, lying, or use of a different language to insult others.
- Be where you are supposed to be.
- Leave places clean and tidy.
- Use materials and equipment properly.
- Damage or destruction of school property must be paid for by parents of students responsible, and disciplinary action will be taken.
- Demonstrate a respectful manner towards teachers, elders, peers, and school property at all times.
- Your child is not permitted to bring dangerous or distracting articles to school, such as toys, guns, knives, water guns, or other similar articles.
- Instruct your child in stranger safety.
- Students are to stay on the playground or permitted area only for play.
- Glass containers are not allowed to be brought to school.
- Chewing gum is not allowed in the school.
- Soda or soft drinks are not allowed for lunch/snack.
- No student is allowed to be outside without permission from his/her teacher.
- Running in the hallway, pushing, shoving, yelling, whistling, and slamming doors is not acceptable behavior.
- Students will be disciplined and/or suspended for fighting.
Students are not allowed to bring electronic devices such as cellular phones, iPods, tape/CD players, radios, Gameboys, DS, etc. School staff has the right to confiscate any electronic devices that are found in the student’s possession.
Under no circumstance, are students allowed to make phone calls, text messages, or misuse the internet during the school day.
On the first day of school, each teacher will send home a copy of the classroom discipline plan. This plan outlines for the student and parent(s) the organization of the classroom. At any time, a staff member may address inappropriate behavior and students are required to respect the authority of every adult in the building.
Principal’s Discipline Plan
Teachers are expected to lead their students in an orderly and constructive manner. When a child is sent to the principal for severe behavior problems, it is regarded as a serious matter. There will be a discipline referral sent by the teacher with the student (see Appendix A) to the Principal’s office. Depending on the seriousness of the situation and/or the number of previous referrals to the office, the principal will choose to conference with the student(s) and contact parent(s) by telephone or in writing. If the behavior continues to persist after interventions, then the school administration has the discretion to expel the student from the school and ineligible for registration the following school year.
Students will be required to complete assignments and return them to the school by the due date. For students in grade 3 and above, failure to return assignments by the due date will result in loss points, determined by the teacher.
Students with an excused absence will be given one day per absent day to complete their homework and classwork.
When outside of the classroom, students should be well-behaved. This includes the morning assembly, walking in the hallways, lunch time, recess, and other activities outside of the classroom. Each individual special area (library, science lab, playground) has its own rules that will be shared with students in those areas. The general building rules are as follows:
- Use a quiet voice so as not to disturb other students.
- Take care of all school property.
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to self.
- Food and drink are only allowed in designated areas.
- No chewing gum!
- No cursing or inappropriate language or behavior.
Failure to comply will result in the following consequences.
- Verbal warning from school staff.
- If a student continues to misbehave, the student will be asked to return to class and the teacher will be notified. Students may first be separated from other classmates when visiting with a group.
- If misbehavior is severe, the student will be asked to return immediately to class or be sent to the office.
In Case of Crisis
The safety of your child is our greatest concern. The school holds regular safety drills to teach students to respond calmly in the event of an emergency. Evacuation plans are posted inside the door of each classroom and each class has an escape route to an outside area away from the building. Our school crisis plan covers the following potential emergencies: armed intruder, student with firearm, class hostage, arson, bomb threat, disruptive student, missing student, life threatening crisis, death of a student/staff member, and weather-related emergencies.
Lost and Found
The school is not responsible for any loss or damage of personal property. Personal belongings should be clearly marked with the students’ name. Lost items are usually placed in the lost and found container located in the commons area. Due to the volume of lost items we cannot store lost items for an indefinite period. Therefore, at the end of each semester, all unclaimed items will be donated to charity. Please check the lost and found container as soon as you realize an item has been lost at the school.
The Commons Area (Cafeteria) is a place where students should enjoy their lunch with their friends. Students who follow these rules will make it a pleasant place to eat.
- Say dua before and after eating.
- Walk at all times.
- Remain seated at your table.
- Always use your “inside” voice with appropriate conversation.
- Use good manners.
- Keep food in its proper place.
- Always follow the teacher’s direction on the first request.
- Talk only when you are done with food.
- Keep hands, feet and belongings to yourself.
- Leave the place clean and tidy.
Hallway and Stairs
- Be silent.
- Always stay on your right side.
- Walk only.
- Hands and feet to yourself.
- Whisper “Allahu Akbar” when going up and “SubhanAllah” while going down.
- Read the appropriate du’a upon entering and leaving the bathroom.
- Use water to clean yourself.
- Clean up any mess you make.
- Always keep the floor dry.
- Maintain personal space. One stall should have one person only.
- Use soap for washing hands only.
- Exit the bathroom clean and dry.
Many children use the playground daily. In order to ensure safety for all, please follow the rules below:
- Use the bathroom before going out to the playground so that you do not have to come back inside during playtime.
- Use equipment properly.
- Throwing rocks, mulch, or other harmful objects is not allowed. Leave rocks, sand, mulch, snow, etc. on the ground.
- Play in the assigned areas only.
- Line up and walk to and from the playground.
- Keep hands and feet to yourself.
- Wait patiently for your turn.
- Ride equipment correctly.
- Avoid pushing, throwing and running fast.
- At the stop signal: Stop, Look, and Listen.